Snowfall may open resorts; schools closed
BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (KABC) -- Some drivers are having a tough time moving through the fresh dose of snow toppling Southern California mountains. Regardless, the fresh blanket of snow is drawing in visitors.
For skiers and snowboarders, Thursday's snow was a first chance to actually see some real fresh natural powder on the slopes. For drivers, it was their first chance to take part in one of the most anticipated traditions of the year, chaining up the car.
With snow levels down to around 4,500 feet, drivers had to chain up early Thursday. Even with four-wheel drive, vehicles without chains weren't allowed into the mountains. Once past the chain check, the reason for that requirement became clear with Highway 18 covered in snow and ice through the Arctic Circle.
"People who live up here pretty much know how to drive it," said Michelle Capps of Big Bear City, "But people who don't, go a little bit too fast. We tend to have a lot of accidents, but this is gorgeous, we've been waiting for this for weeks."
Bear Mountain Resort is open, after getting about six inches of fresh powder Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
"This is the real first good snowstorm of the season, and it's real good to be out here," said Mitch Welch of Brea.
Officials said Mountain High in Wrightwood is set to open within the next couple of days.
"We are super excited. This is amazing. We are hoping to reopen the resort possibly this weekend," said Kim Hermon with Mountain High.
Meantime, children in the Rim of the World School District will have their first snow day Friday; the district says all classes have been cancelled.
snow, storm, weather
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 54 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Inmate escapes jail a day after sentencing 5 min ago
- Ex-assemblyman arrested for domestic violence 20 min ago
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says