'King Tide' floods Orange County communities
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The so-called "King Tide" caused flooding in low-lying areas along the coast in Orange County. Work crews were out early Thursday morning pumping as much of the water out as possible.
Residents say Huntington Harbour overflowed onto Pacific Coast Highway. Residents of one home in Sunset Beach spent their morning sweeping out water from their garage and kitchen.
According to the National Weather Service, "King Tide" is caused by a unique combination of how the sun, moon and the Earth align, bringing the highest tides of the year, in some cases over 7 feet high.
City officials said a combination of "King Tide" and overnight rains caused flooding on Pacific Coast Highway, temporarily shutting down northbound lanes at Warner Avenue.
Some residents even took to paddleboarding to get around in the flooded areas, while others made the mistake of trying to travel through the flooded road.
"I inched my way out, and finally my car alarm started going off, and all the other electrical systems started failing in my car, and now I'm waiting for AAA to come pick up my car and try to restore my electrical system," said Fred Drether of Sunset Beach.
Elsewhere across the Southland, heavy rainfall is being blamed for several accidents. A fatal crash happened around 3:15 a.m. near Figueroa Street and Woodside Drive in the Mt. Washington area of Los Angeles. Another fatal accident involving an overturned vehicle was reported in Woodland Hills. A couple of early morning collisions also caused problems on the 101 Freeway. Officials urged drivers to slow down and plan ahead.
storm, rain, weather
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker 8 min ago
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 2 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane 43 min ago
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis