'King Tide' floods Orange County communities
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The so-called "King Tide" caused flooding in low-lying areas along the coast in Orange County. Work crews were out early Thursday morning pumping as much of the water out as possible.
Residents say Huntington Harbour overflowed onto Pacific Coast Highway. Residents of one home in Sunset Beach spent their morning sweeping out water from their garage and kitchen.
According to the National Weather Service, "King Tide" is caused by a unique combination of how the sun, moon and the Earth align, bringing the highest tides of the year, in some cases over 7 feet high.
City officials said a combination of "King Tide" and overnight rains caused flooding on Pacific Coast Highway, temporarily shutting down northbound lanes at Warner Avenue.
Some residents even took to paddleboarding to get around in the flooded areas, while others made the mistake of trying to travel through the flooded road.
"I inched my way out, and finally my car alarm started going off, and all the other electrical systems started failing in my car, and now I'm waiting for AAA to come pick up my car and try to restore my electrical system," said Fred Drether of Sunset Beach.
Elsewhere across the Southland, heavy rainfall is being blamed for several accidents. A fatal crash happened around 3:15 a.m. near Figueroa Street and Woodside Drive in the Mt. Washington area of Los Angeles. Another fatal accident involving an overturned vehicle was reported in Woodland Hills. A couple of early morning collisions also caused problems on the 101 Freeway. Officials urged drivers to slow down and plan ahead.
storm, rain, weather
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 1 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)