SoCal served up with wind, cold temperatures
SYLMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- Mother Nature served up strong winds and bone-chilling temperatures in Southern California Wednesday.
It was cold enough for snow in areas like Frazier Park. Plows were needed to clear the streets in Rolling Springs.
There was also a freeze warning ordered for the Antelope Valley. In Santa Clarita, temperatures were in the 30s.
The wind whipped up trouble for commuters, knocking over several trees in the Southland overnight. A photo sent in from an Eyewitness News viewer in Burbank showed a large tree on top of a parked pickup truck on North Valley Street. In South Los Angeles, a tree fell on a moving truck, forcing the driver, Gershon Martinez, to pull over and crawl out of the passenger side door. He was not injured.
"My truck was rattling a little bit, but I never expected a tree to fall on me," Martinez said.
The wind is also blamed for leaving homes in the dark overnight. As many as 8,000 people were without power in the L.A.-Long Beach areas. As of 9 a.m. Wednesday, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said power was restored to almost all of its customers. There were still scattered outages throughout the city, but no significant ones, officials said.
But the cold, windy weather didn't cool 3-year-old Morgan's passion for her favorite sport: tennis. She asked her mom and movie star dad to take her to the court.
"We were about to pack it in, and she wanted to do some more backhands," Michael Jai White said with a laugh.
snow, storm, weather
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)