Storm surprises LA County residents with snow
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Resident in La Habra Heights and surrounding communities witnessed a shocking sight Sunday after a sudden and surprising storm turned the area into a white winter wonderland.A cold storm system passing through Southern California will bring light to moderate rain to the region through early Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.
"I was really excited, I didn't expect it," said Tamara Alexander of Rowland Heights. "It started hailing at my house and my mom was out at the grocery store, then they came over the hill and oh my gosh, it's snowing."
"It lasted like an hour," said La Habra Heights resident Eddie Liu. "The road, my house were all white."
From West Covina to La Habra, residents saw a variety of wet weather, including rain, hail and sleet.
In the Antelope Valley, the wild weather meant heavy snow, especially on the 14 Freeway where white-out conditions made driving dangerous.
While it's a relatively common sight in the high desert, in La Habra Heights, some residents said they had never seen a dusting of powder in neighborhoods.
"It's really cool, I love snow," said Aidan Alexander of Rowland Heights. "I always wanted to do a snowball fight."
It was fun for some, but the thin layer of snow was potentially dangerous as it coated cars and turned roads white.
snow, storm, rain, car crash, weather, leanne suter
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)