New Year's Eve temps dip low for Southland
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Santa Clarita Valley and High Desert communities will ring in the New Year with temps dipping below freezing.
Across much of Southern California, frost warnings were in effect Monday morning as the mercury dropped low.
In Santa Clarita, it was sunny and clear in the afternoon but evening temperatures are expected to drop into the 20s and 30s.
"You can tell it gets cold because our dog sleeps under the cover with us, so that's kind of an indicator that it's getting cold outside," said Ed Yuh of Santa Clarita.
While the afternoon sunshine inspired some to enjoy some frozen yogurt, it will surely be a different situation in the evening.
"It gets cold like this, it's the High Desert. But it always seems to get this cold when it's clear out. We never really get this cold when we get some weather in, which is unfortunate because otherwise, we'd get some snow," said Kyle McMullen of Santa Clarita.
A surprise storm did bring some of the white stuff to La Habra Heights. The slushy ice left cars covered and made for some fun playtime.
Meanwhile, in northern San Diego County, an Eyewitness News viewer sent in a picture of a funnel cloud near Fallbrook. It did not touch down but it was another example of the winter weather that has hit the Southland.
In the Antelope Valley Sunday night, heavy snow created white-out conditions on the 14 Freeway and coated everything in fresh powder.
These cold conditions can be dangerous. The Los Angeles County Health Department has some warnings for those who might choose to heat their homes by unconventional means.
"Don't try and heat your house with a stove by keeping your oven on or having a barbecue inside. That's a prescription for disaster and it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning which can be deadly and it doesn't take very long," advised Dr. Jonathan Fielding, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
A frost advisory remains in effect for most of Southern California until Tuesday morning at 9 a.m.
snow, new year's eve, weather, robert holguin
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film 11 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in...
35 min ago