Strong winds blamed for big-rig accident on I-15
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Traffic along Interstate 15 was backed up for miles Wednesday after a big rig overturned. Powerful winds were responsible for the accident that left the driver with a broken leg.
Strong and gusty winds also lashed trees and kicked up dust in Fontana int he morning. There was a high-wind warning for many parts of Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
Construction at a new college site in Fontana came to a standstill after a row of fencing was knocked down and the site's portable restrooms were sent flying.
"It stopped our production. We can't do our layout like we're supposed to, and pretty much just cleaning up after the bad winds now," said Devin Kerby of Riverside.
Fences not toppled by the wind acted as a net, trapping trash and other debris.
Powerful gusts also caused a number of down lines, keeping utility workers busy. Southern California Edison says 56 customers lost power. Residents like Robert Casas said he had to buckle down items at this home before leaving for work.
"All my solar panels are getting ready to fly off," Casas said.
For landscapers, the wind was not helping. Dust and lawn clippings made mowing the lawn a miserable business.
"It's really, really tough. There's wind all over, dirt all over your face and stuff," said Daniel Garcia of Fontana. "But we have to get the work done."
Winds between 15 to 30 mph were expected, with strong gusts up to 40 mph. Drivers were advised to be careful due to the high winds and debris being blown across the roadway.
riverside county, san bernardino county, weather
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 34 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 31 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 36 min ago