Strong winds blamed for big-rig accident on I-15
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Traffic along Interstate 15 was backed up for miles Wednesday after a big rig overturned. Powerful winds were responsible for the accident that left the driver with a broken leg.
Strong and gusty winds also lashed trees and kicked up dust in Fontana int he morning. There was a high-wind warning for many parts of Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
Construction at a new college site in Fontana came to a standstill after a row of fencing was knocked down and the site's portable restrooms were sent flying.
"It stopped our production. We can't do our layout like we're supposed to, and pretty much just cleaning up after the bad winds now," said Devin Kerby of Riverside.
Fences not toppled by the wind acted as a net, trapping trash and other debris.
Powerful gusts also caused a number of down lines, keeping utility workers busy. Southern California Edison says 56 customers lost power. Residents like Robert Casas said he had to buckle down items at this home before leaving for work.
"All my solar panels are getting ready to fly off," Casas said.
For landscapers, the wind was not helping. Dust and lawn clippings made mowing the lawn a miserable business.
"It's really, really tough. There's wind all over, dirt all over your face and stuff," said Daniel Garcia of Fontana. "But we have to get the work done."
Winds between 15 to 30 mph were expected, with strong gusts up to 40 mph. Drivers were advised to be careful due to the high winds and debris being blown across the roadway.
riverside county, san bernardino county, weather
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss 35 min ago
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease 47 min ago
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Hot yoga: Hazardous for your health?
39 min ago