Southern Californians bundle up for windy, cold weather
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Mother Nature has served up sub-freezing temperatures, frost and strong winds across Southern California.
A warming trend will begin Wednesday as temps hit highs in the upper 60s with lots of sunshine in metro Los Angeles and Orange County, as well as in the valleys and Inland Empire. The mountains will be clear and windy, but not as cold, as temps reach the mid 40s. The high desert will be mild and sunny in the upper 50s.
In Palmdale, an unexpected patch of ice tested drivers turning into one shopping center. Some steered over the slick spot, while others slipped and spun out.
The mercury hovered around the low to mid 20s in the early morning hours. To combat the cold, one resident said she wore two coats and clutched hand warmers.
"You shake them up for a few seconds, and you warm up, and you stick them in your pocket," she said.
But the cold temperatures weren't enough to bench 73-year-old Joe and his senior league teammates in Lancaster.
"We've been out here with snow on the ground. We've been out here with ice on the ground, and we just keep on playing," he said.
The cold snap has been blamed for many things, from ruptured pipes to hypothermia, and possibly the death of a homeless man in downtown Los Angeles.
The winds were really howling overnight in Corona, making it feel even colder. The winds were gusting up to 35 miles an hour, which was strong enough to sway palm trees.
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony 51 min ago
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 42 min ago