Southern Californians bundle up for windy, cold weather
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Mother Nature has served up sub-freezing temperatures, frost and strong winds across Southern California.
A warming trend will begin Wednesday as temps hit highs in the upper 60s with lots of sunshine in metro Los Angeles and Orange County, as well as in the valleys and Inland Empire. The mountains will be clear and windy, but not as cold, as temps reach the mid 40s. The high desert will be mild and sunny in the upper 50s.
In Palmdale, an unexpected patch of ice tested drivers turning into one shopping center. Some steered over the slick spot, while others slipped and spun out.
The mercury hovered around the low to mid 20s in the early morning hours. To combat the cold, one resident said she wore two coats and clutched hand warmers.
"You shake them up for a few seconds, and you warm up, and you stick them in your pocket," she said.
But the cold temperatures weren't enough to bench 73-year-old Joe and his senior league teammates in Lancaster.
"We've been out here with snow on the ground. We've been out here with ice on the ground, and we just keep on playing," he said.
The cold snap has been blamed for many things, from ruptured pipes to hypothermia, and possibly the death of a homeless man in downtown Los Angeles.
The winds were really howling overnight in Corona, making it feel even colder. The winds were gusting up to 35 miles an hour, which was strong enough to sway palm trees.
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 18 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 37 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour