Wind, low humidity has firefighters on alert in Inland Empire
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Firefighters are on alert in the Inland Empire as the low humidity and high winds are creating dangerous conditions.
A red-flag warning was triggered in the San Bernardino and Riverside county valleys. The warning was expected to remain in effect for the Orange County coast, Inland Empire and valleys until 5 p.m. Friday.
Powerful winds had drivers along Interstate 15 struggling to stay on the road - especially big rigs. Avi Bouskila said the wind had him swaying in his truck.
"If it is loaded, it's okay but right now it's empty. I need to get to Long Beach. Very hard to drive in this wind," Bouskila said.
Santa Ana-like winds, coupled with dry conditions have local firefighters on high alert for potential fires. Cal Fire has staff and air support on standby.
Just last week in Fillmore, 40-mph winds helped fuel a fire that destroyed two homes and burned 140 acres.
However, fire isn't the only concern. For allergy suffers, the strong winds make for a miserable day.
"My daughter's asthma is totally kicking in and our allergies. You can't keep the window open too much because it's just blowing all that dirt in and everything that comes along with it," said Nicole Atilano from Hesperia.
Wind gusts are expected to reach 50 mph in many parts of Southern California - which Texas resident Norwood Hill considered a light breeze compared to what he sees back home.
"Where we come from, we have them up to 80 mph. Fortunately, the tornadoes have missed us," Hill said.
Local authorities advised residents to keep water nearby if mowing the lawn or using the weed trimmer, just in case the machines hit a rock and sparks fly. They also advised smokers to dispose of cigarettes properly and not to throw them out of their car windows.
riverside county, san bernardino county, weather, leticia juarez
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 48 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 26 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 21 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
16 min ago
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
9 min ago