Southland sizzles under summer heat wave
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Summer is here and Southern California is sizzling under a heat wave with temperatures reaching 100 degrees in many areas.
In the Santa Clarita Valley, the mercury passed 90 even before noon. Temperatures were expected to reach high 80s for Los Angeles and Orange counties, high 90s for the Inland Empire and Valleys, mid 80s for the local mountains and the low 100s for the High Desert communities.
Large swaths of the Southland will remain under an excessive heat warning until Sunday night.
Residents are urged to avoid outdoor activities if possible and stay hydrated. People who were out and about said they were trying to get things done quickly and get inside to a cool place.
"It's going to be staying at home with the air conditioner and not going out as much as you can," said Tiffany Friddle of Palmdale.
Some people are not only concerned about the cost of running their air-conditioning units, but whether or not the power grid is being taxed. Southern California Edison officials say there is enough power to go around without interruptions for now, but they passed along these conservation tips:
- Keep the thermostat set to 78 degrees or above, use fans to make a room feel at least 5 degrees cooler and draw drapes during the hottest part of the day.
- LED and CFL light bulbs not only cut your energy use, but they create less heat than old, inefficient incandescent bulbs in the home. Try grilling outside or cooking with the microwave to keep your home cooler so the air conditioning doesn't have to work as hard.
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 19 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence 6 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 47 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 5 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 36 min ago
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...