Heat wave: Southern California sees triple-digit temps this weekend
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Friday kicked off what is expected to be a sweltering weekend, as day two of a heat wave baked Southern California.
Temps hit the triple-digits in Palm Springs and soared into the 80s and 90s in Orange County and the valleys all before 11 a.m.
An excessive heat warning is in place for the Los Angeles County Mountains, excluding the Santa Monica Range, and a heat warning is due to kick in 10 a.m. Saturday for the Inland Empire, valleys and Ventura County areas. The warnings will expire 9 p.m. Sunday.
The Los Angeles metro and Orange County areas will reach into the upper 90s this weekend, and slight cooling is not expected until Monday. The valleys and Inland Empire will be just below 110 degrees through Sunday, while the mountains will be in the low 90s.
But it seems the high desert will be one of the hottest places this weekend, topping off at 112 degrees by Sunday. It's not something residents are looking forward to.
"Way too hot for me, and I've lived here for over 25 years," said Louis Recheck of Palmdale.
In an effort to beat the heat, people got out early to exercise and run errands. At 7 a.m., it was 72 degrees in Sherman Oaks, where walkers, joggers and runners alike packed War Memorial Park.
Lisa Bollier knows from experience that working out early is the way to go.
"I've been running, not the smartest thing to do when it's really hot, but I've gotten dizzy, light-headed, your body is just depleted, and you kind of are sick for a while," she said.
Besides getting out early, people are reminded to stay hydrated, stay in the shade, and keep an eye on the elderly and pets.
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 58 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks