Heat wave: Southern California sees triple-digit temps this weekend
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Friday kicked off what is expected to be a sweltering weekend, as day two of a heat wave baked Southern California.
Temps hit the triple-digits in Palm Springs and soared into the 80s and 90s in Orange County and the valleys all before 11 a.m.
An excessive heat warning is in place for the Los Angeles County Mountains, excluding the Santa Monica Range, and a heat warning is due to kick in 10 a.m. Saturday for the Inland Empire, valleys and Ventura County areas. The warnings will expire 9 p.m. Sunday.
The Los Angeles metro and Orange County areas will reach into the upper 90s this weekend, and slight cooling is not expected until Monday. The valleys and Inland Empire will be just below 110 degrees through Sunday, while the mountains will be in the low 90s.
But it seems the high desert will be one of the hottest places this weekend, topping off at 112 degrees by Sunday. It's not something residents are looking forward to.
"Way too hot for me, and I've lived here for over 25 years," said Louis Recheck of Palmdale.
In an effort to beat the heat, people got out early to exercise and run errands. At 7 a.m., it was 72 degrees in Sherman Oaks, where walkers, joggers and runners alike packed War Memorial Park.
Lisa Bollier knows from experience that working out early is the way to go.
"I've been running, not the smartest thing to do when it's really hot, but I've gotten dizzy, light-headed, your body is just depleted, and you kind of are sick for a while," she said.
Besides getting out early, people are reminded to stay hydrated, stay in the shade, and keep an eye on the elderly and pets.
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 32 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 12 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 15 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals 22 min ago
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 58 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour