Summer rain, humidity blankets Southern California
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A wave of monsoonal moisture is blanketing Southern California in some spotty summer showers on Thursday.
There were pockets of downpours across the Southland, and the wet weather is something folks did not expect this time of year.
"I live in Redondo Beach, so I'm kind of used to sunnier weather and a little bit of a cool-down, and I came down here in the middle of our town in L.A., and I expect nice weather as well, but it's actually really humid out today," said Tim Sidney of Redondo Beach.
The rare July raindrops began falling before sunrise, coating roads for the morning commute. Slick roads led to a number of spinouts on local freeways.
It also caused a lot of stress at the downtown Los Angeles Farmers Market.
"We can't cook yet. We can't put the ramp together, you know, certain things that we have to hold off on until it really clears," said Susan Hutchinson.
Merchants covered what they could and hoped the showers would hold off until evening.
"This is our livelihood, particularly the downtown market at City Hall, we don't open. But luckily, it stopped raining in time that we can get set up and everything, because it's a hazard. It's an insurance hazard," said Synovia Jones, a merchant.
The steady showers moved out by midday, but the cloudy and humid weather is sticking around.
Some areas could still see rain later in the day, and there's even the possibly of thunderstorms for the higher terrain.
storm, rain, car crash, weather, john gregory
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78 3 min ago
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report