La Verne brush fire burns 27 acres; structures threatened, evacuations ordered
LA VERNE, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush fire burning near Broken Spur Lane and Roughrider Road in La Verne prompted evacuations Friday afternoon.
The fire had burned approximately 27 acres and was about 90 percent contained at 4:10 p.m., according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department. An earlier department estimate put the acreage burned at 40 acres, but that number was revised downward.
Flames were approaching nearby residences. Additional firefighting personnel was requested for structure protection.
Previously evacuated residents were being allowed back to their homes at about 4:15 p.m.
Evacuations were ordered near Wagon Horse Avenue. The evacuation area includes Briney Point and Williams Avenue and surrounding areas.
Evacuations orders were in effect for:
- Roughrider Road
- Quail Valley Road
- Summit Road
- Saddle Horn Lane
- Glen Ivy Street
The LeRoy Haynes Center at 233 Baseline Road was evacuated.
Animal Control has been contacted to assist with handling horses.
Anyone east of the flames was advised to be on alert due to the easterly blowing wind.
At least one outbuilding could be seen burning at 1:45 p.m., possibly a shed.
No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire was under investigation.
fire, brush fire, weather
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role