Storm brings early-season snow to Southland mountains
BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (KABC) -- The latest storm system brought some early-season snow to the Big Bear area, and local residents hope the cold weather means big business.
Several inches of snow covered some cars in Big Bear and had residents scraping the white stuff off their windshields. The snow was not a lot but there was enough to create that crisp, fall weather many Southlanders enjoy.
Big Bear residents say they're welcoming the early season snow with open arms because it can only mean good things for the local economy. The area saw a total of approximately 3 inches of snow overnight.
This is the second time this month snow has fallen in Big Bear.
"Usually every year around Halloween, it always does a light dusting, but we're really hoping it keeps up and maybe we'll have a really good winter with lots of snow," said Kalisha Fetterhoff with the Grizzly Manor Café.
Wrightwood was also blanketed overnight, and Mountain High Ski Resort is already making snow. The slopes are not open yet, but with these colder temperatures and early snowfall, the skiing and snowboarding season is expected to begin soon.
"That's really good for business, and the earlier they open, the better for us, so we're excited for it," Fetterhoff said.
If you are heading up the mountain, chains are required on some roads and many areas are still very slick and icy.Download the free ABC7 Megadoppler weather app to stay on top of the latest weather conditions.
rain, weather, darsha philips
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 28 min ago
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case 36 min ago
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
32 min ago