Bear Mountain opens to skiers, snowboarders
BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (KABC) -- Bear Mountain opened Wednesday morning to the glee of excited skiers and snowboarders who were up early and ready to hit the snow.
The lifts opened at 8:30 a.m., but snow lovers were waiting in line several hours beforehand.
Chair 9 opened from top to bottom, serving Upper Park Run, Expressway, Gulch and Lower Park Run trails.
The Big Bear area got a good dusting of snow from last week's storm, but not too much. That's when the resort put its snow-making machines to work.
The entire resort isn't open - only a limited number of runs are available. Also, no beginner grails are open.
Chris Riddle, the vice president of marketing at Bear Mountain Resorts, said it's not only about the runs - it's also about the tricks.
"Jumps, rails, boxes, and we've got several jumps and a bunch of rails and boxes. So not only is it just opening day, it's opening day with some fun here," said Riddle.
Due to limited available runs, lift tickets will be offered at an early-season rate of $40 for adults 22 and older; $35 for young adults ages 13-21; and $16 for children ages 7-12. Season Passes, individual tickets and group tickets are on sale now. For more information or to purchase passes, call 909.866.5766 or visit BigBearMountainResorts.com. For the 24-hour snow report, call 800-Bear-Mtn.
Opening day celebrations will include music, giveaways and drink specials.
Snow Summit does not yet have a scheduled day to open.
weather, john gregory
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 7 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 11 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash 41 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 27 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role