Blustering winds, low temperatures hitting Southland
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Wind watches and warnings are in effect throughout Southern California.
ABC7 weathercaster Garth Kemp says an area of high pressure is moving across the region, creating a cold Santa Ana event.
A wind advisory is in effect for the Ventura County coast, coastal valleys and interior valleys; Los Angeles County coast including downtown; Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area; Los Angeles County Mountains excluding the Santa Monica Range; Ventura County Mountains; Santa Clarita Valley; Los Angeles County including the San Fernando Valley until 12 p.m. Tuesday.
Powerful winds made a mess of parts of the San Fernando Valley on Monday. In Northridge, a leaning power pole caused a power line to droop and a block of Roscoe Boulevard to be shut down. Small trees snapped in two, and a massive pine tree came crashing down on a car on Devonshire Street.
As the week progresses, the wind will die down and temperatures are expected to inch up. On Tuesday, conditions will be sunny and cold in Los Angeles and Orange counties with highs in the mid-60s. Temps will reach the low-70s by the end of the week.
The valleys and Inland Empire will see wind gusts up to 30 mph with temps in the low-60s on Tuesday and upper 60s on Wednesday. The mountains and high desert will be sunny and cold with highs in the 40s for the first half of the workweek.
Officials are reminding residents not to use stoves, barbeques or ovens to heat their homes due to carbon monoxide poisoning dangers.
Take the power of the ABC7 weather team wherever you go with the ABC7 MEGADOPPLER weather app, featuring customizable weather alerts and more. Visit the ABC7 Apps page now to download it.
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster 8 min ago
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior 29 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour