Blustering winds, low temperatures hitting Southland
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Wind watches and warnings are in effect throughout Southern California.
ABC7 weathercaster Garth Kemp says an area of high pressure is moving across the region, creating a cold Santa Ana event.
A wind advisory is in effect for the Ventura County coast, coastal valleys and interior valleys; Los Angeles County coast including downtown; Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area; Los Angeles County Mountains excluding the Santa Monica Range; Ventura County Mountains; Santa Clarita Valley; Los Angeles County including the San Fernando Valley until 12 p.m. Tuesday.
Powerful winds made a mess of parts of the San Fernando Valley on Monday. In Northridge, a leaning power pole caused a power line to droop and a block of Roscoe Boulevard to be shut down. Small trees snapped in two, and a massive pine tree came crashing down on a car on Devonshire Street.
As the week progresses, the wind will die down and temperatures are expected to inch up. On Tuesday, conditions will be sunny and cold in Los Angeles and Orange counties with highs in the mid-60s. Temps will reach the low-70s by the end of the week.
The valleys and Inland Empire will see wind gusts up to 30 mph with temps in the low-60s on Tuesday and upper 60s on Wednesday. The mountains and high desert will be sunny and cold with highs in the 40s for the first half of the workweek.
Officials are reminding residents not to use stoves, barbeques or ovens to heat their homes due to carbon monoxide poisoning dangers.
Take the power of the ABC7 weather team wherever you go with the ABC7 MEGADOPPLER weather app, featuring customizable weather alerts and more. Visit the ABC7 Apps page now to download it.
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop 56 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 28 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea 34 min ago
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Salt water treatment helps rare lung disease
46 min ago