Fire danger high as winds sweep across SoCal
PORTER RANCH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- High winds and low humidity across the Southland are triggering a red-flag warning. Firefighters are urging people to be extra cautious this weekend.
The red-flag warning is in effect for most of Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura counties through Sunday.
Firefighters say they're facing potentially dangerous conditions. The brush is very dry because Southern California has not had enough rain so far this year.
"We are allocating strike teams strategically throughout the county and areas that we consider to be high risk," said Scott Miller of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
In the Inland Empire, the Forest Service is putting crews in place, preparing to attack any wildfires that break out quickly. Extra equipment was also brought in from Northern California.
Wind-driven fires can cause massive devastation. In 2008, a fire fueled by ferocious winds destroyed nearly 500 homes in Sylmar.
"When you combine the wind with the very critically dry brush that we have out there, along with the humidity being low, we're still worried about a high potential for fire," said Miller.
Officials remind homeowners that the fire danger doesn't disappear when temperatures are cooler.
"A lot of people get complacent because they think we're out of brush fire season, but that's not the case," said Miller.
Officials say this is also a good time to think about that brush clearance around your home. They also urge residents to make plans, just in case you're forced to leave your home.
fire, wildfire, weather
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 26 min ago
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks