Fire danger high as winds sweep across SoCal
PORTER RANCH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- High winds and low humidity across the Southland are triggering a red-flag warning. Firefighters are urging people to be extra cautious this weekend.
The red-flag warning is in effect for most of Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura counties through Sunday.
Firefighters say they're facing potentially dangerous conditions. The brush is very dry because Southern California has not had enough rain so far this year.
"We are allocating strike teams strategically throughout the county and areas that we consider to be high risk," said Scott Miller of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
In the Inland Empire, the Forest Service is putting crews in place, preparing to attack any wildfires that break out quickly. Extra equipment was also brought in from Northern California.
Wind-driven fires can cause massive devastation. In 2008, a fire fueled by ferocious winds destroyed nearly 500 homes in Sylmar.
"When you combine the wind with the very critically dry brush that we have out there, along with the humidity being low, we're still worried about a high potential for fire," said Miller.
Officials remind homeowners that the fire danger doesn't disappear when temperatures are cooler.
"A lot of people get complacent because they think we're out of brush fire season, but that's not the case," said Miller.
Officials say this is also a good time to think about that brush clearance around your home. They also urge residents to make plans, just in case you're forced to leave your home.
fire, wildfire, weather
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 10 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 24 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 4 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 5 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 26 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 16 min ago
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour