Southern California sees dry, windy conditions
LA CANADA FLINTRIDGE, Calif. (KABC) -- A red-flag warning was issued across Los Angeles and Ventura counties Monday due to windy and dry conditions.
The red-flag warning was set to expire at 4 p.m. Monday, but fire crews remained on high alert as windy conditions continued in some areas.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department added over 100 extra firefighters to prepare for what could be a very busy start to the week.
Dry conditions and wind create major wildfire concerns for the Southland. On Sunday, high winds were gusting up to 55 mph in the mountains and up to 45 mph through some of the Valley areas. Strong winds were blamed for knocking down power lines at the corner of Devonshire Street and Owensmouth Avenue in Los Angeles.
Fire officials say Southern California has not had much rain, so the brush is extremely dry. If something were to ignite when the wind started blowing, it could spread very quickly.
A brush fire erupted along the San Gabriel River Trail in Azusa at 1:19 a.m. Monday. Crews acted quickly and aggressively from the ground and the air. The blaze was contained after burning four acres.
Officials urged residents to take the standard precautions and report any smoke or fire immediately.
"If you live in an area where your house doesn't have proper brush clearance, you have to remember, that vegetation is an avenue for fire to get to your home," said L.A. County Fire Capt. Brian Jordan. "If your home catches fire, now your home is firewood that could produce more heat that could catch another home on fire."
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa. 24 min ago
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case 20 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Intersection gets safety upgrades after death
2 min ago