Buena Park charity pack supplies for Haiti
PACOIMA, Calif. (KABC) -- Volunteers in Buena Park sorted through supplies at the non-profit, Giving Children Hope. The supplies will make their way to help the victims of Haiti's earthquake.
"The situation is absolutely crucial that we get some emergency supplies including pharmaceuticals, water purification tablets on the ground as quickly as possible," said Denise Steverding of Giving Children Hope.
Nearly 15 years ago, I reported from Port-au-Prince. It was the end of military dictatorship in Haiti. The infrastructure of the city was horrible. Many roads were full of potholes, and many homes shoddily built. Extreme poverty was clearly seen, and that was before the magnitude 7.0 earthquake.
"Haiti was pretty desperate to begin with. It has very few medical systems and then what's there has been collapsed. So this is going to be a very long effort. These are some water purification tablets. These will help with getting clean water," said Steverding.
From much needed medicine to hygiene kits and blankets, the organization is collecting as much as possible to send right away. Those here who have seen the pictures of the quake's aftermath do what they can by volunteering.
"I saw a lot of devastation, a lot of buildings that were sandwiched, similar to some of the earthquakes we've seen. And it's just devastating, it's just heartbreaking," said Dean Morash, a volunteer.
Just last Friday, a team from Mission Viejo Christian Church visited the warehouse to pick up donations to bring to Haiti.
"We were quite nervous. Were they even alive with the death toll? But we have heard that everyone is okay. One girl has broken her leg, but otherwise, everyone is alive and well," said Steverding.
The volunteers hope to have all of the relief supplies packed up and on a ship to Haiti on Friday.
earthquake, earthquake center, eileen frere
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Telescope detects Earth-like planet
7 min ago