No abnormalities at crippled nuke plant in Japan after latest quake
TOKYO (KABC) -- Officials say there were no abnormalities in key equipment at the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant after a big earthquake struck off Japan's northeastern coast where the March 11 quake and tsunami hit.
The magnitude-6.8 quake struck Friday at 2:36 p.m. local time and was centered about 185 miles northeast of Tokyo, Japan's Meteorological Agency said. The United States Geological Survey measured the earthquake at magnitude-6.3.
Japan's agency issued a tsunami advisory, predicting waves of 20 inches along the coast of Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures. The advisory was lifted about 30 minutes later.
The quake caused buildings in Tokyo to slightly sway. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
This was the first sizeable quake in the area in over a month. In the weeks following the huge March quake, Japan was frequently rocked by aftershocks, including several stronger than magnitude 7.0. Their frequency and size have declined considerably.
Just over 20,000 people died or disappeared across Japan's northeastern coastline after the March earthquake and tsunami. Some 100,000 others were forced to evacuate their homes because of the threat of radiation from the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter