West Coast mocks East Coast over quake reaction
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- An earthquake is no laughing matter, but many Southern Californians made jokes about Tuesday's 5.8-magnitude earthquake on the East Coast.
The earthquake in Virginia was felt from Georgia to Canada, but caused only minor damage and there were no reports of serious injuries.
When the temblor reached New York City, office workers ran out of buildings - the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do.
"Kids at home, the correct procedure is to go under a table or stand in a door way," said Robert Vargas of Pasadena.
Tuesday's quake was the East Coast's largest since 1944. California has experienced 35 quakes of that size since then.
"It says how...acclimated we are to natural disasters here in California. When the East Coast is supposed to be so tough, I think it's funny how we kind of just shrug it off," said Robert Vargas of Pasadena.
On Facebook, people shared a photo of a plastic chair knocked down on a lawn with the title, "DC Earthquake Devastation."
"Really all this excitement over a 5.8 quake??? Come on East Coast, we have those for breakfast out here!!!!" wrote Dennis Miller of Pleasanton, Calif. on Facebook.
Then the tweets came.
"That's what us Californians use to stir our coffees with," Sarah Atkinson wrote.
In Pasadena, Michelle Blalock of Florida defended the East Coast, saying Californians probably would react the same way in a hurricane.
"An earthquake would absolutely terrify me," Blalock said. "Hurricanes are no problem. You just stay inside."
earthquake, earthquake center, carlos granda
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 47 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 41 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 38 min ago
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard 10 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 27 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'