Turkey earthquake: Student pulled from rubble
ERCIS, Turkey (KABC) -- Rescuers pulled an 18-year-old university student from the rubble of an earthquake-damaged building in a dramatic rescue in eastern Turkey.
Rescuers used tiny cameras mounted on sticks to locate him. Workers burst into applause as the student was pulled out to safety.
The search continues for more victims of Sunday's 7.2-magnitude quake that has killed at least 461 people and injured over 1,350 others.
While much of the media coverage has centered on rescues, most of the stories of the trapped have ended with death.
Murat Sonmez said his mother, wife and four daughters were crushed to death in their home.
"I was not at home," Sonmez said, lapsing into silence at times Wednesday. "God gave them, God took them away. I can't find anything to say.
"I can't describe my pain," he said as he stood by a leveled four-story apartment building.
Searchers say hopes of finding anyone else alive are rapidly fading. Excavators with heavy equipment have begun clearing debris from some collapsed buildings in Ercis, the town hit hardest by the earthquake.
With thousands left homeless or too afraid to return to damaged houses, Turkey said it would accept international aid offers, even from Israel, with which it has had strained relations. Israel offered assistance despite a rift between the two countries over last year's Israeli raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla that killed eight Turkish activists and a Turkish-American one.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors