Chile struck by 6.7-magnitude earthquake
SANTIAGO, Chile (KABC) -- A strong earthquake hit central Chile late Monday .
The magnitude-6.7 quake struck near Valparaiso, but it was strong enough to shake buildings in Santiago, which is 70 miles away.
Officials said a 72-year-old man died from a heart attack during the quake. Residents said the facades of some old buildings fell, but there were no reports of major damage or injuries.
Chile is highly earthquake-prone. A magnitude-7.1 earthquake struck central Chile on March 25, the strongest and longest that many people said they had felt since a huge quake devastated that region two years ago. In 2010, the 8.8-magnitude quake caused a tsunami that obliterated much of the coastal downtown of the central Chilean city of Constitucion.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
earthquake, earthquake center
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 12 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 52 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 55 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
14 min ago