Powerful earthquake strikes off eastern Indonesia
MANOKWARI, Indonesia (KABC) -- A powerful earthquake hit waters off eastern Indonesia Saturday, sending residents into the streets in panic.
The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 6.6. and hit about 50 miles off Papua province. It was centered just 18 miles beneath the ocean floor.
Some street lamps fell down, and at least one building had a wall collapse. Authorities said the temblor did not have the potential to trigger a tsunami.
Back in December 2004, a giant earthquake just off the coast triggered a tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 230,000 people.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 44 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)