Italy quake leaves 16 dead, hundreds injured
MILAN (KABC) -- A 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck northern Italy on Tuesday morning, killing at least 16 people and injuring hundreds of others. It was the second deadly quake in nine days to strike a region of Italy that hadn't considered itself particularly quake prone.
Those who live in the region were just starting to resume some semblance of normality in their lives when the quake struck about 25 miles northwest of Bologna at just after 9 a.m. local time.
Rescue workers combed through the rubble to search for victims. By late Tuesday, the death toll stood at 16, with one person missing, a worker at the machinery factory in the small town of San Felice Sul Panaro.
About 350 people were injured in the area known as one of Italy's more productive regions, agriculturally and industrially.
The quake was felt from Piedmont in northwestern Italy to Venice in the northeast and as far north as Austria. It was followed by many aftershocks, some registering more than 5.0 in magnitude.
The number of fatalities may go up as some are feared buried under the rubble of collapsed homes, churches and factories. A senior Italian official said at least seven people were missing and the number of homeless in the region swelled to 14,000.
The 6.0-magnitude temblor on May 20 was described by Italian emergency officials as the worst to hit the region since the 1300s. It killed seven people and damaged numerous buildings.
Italian Premier Mario Monti was meeting with emergency officials in Rome to discuss the impact of last week's quake when this one hit.
CORRECTION: Authorities first reported that the death toll was 17.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 39 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 19 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 37 min ago
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4 6 min ago
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 38 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 24 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts