Italy earthquake death toll rises to 17
MIRANDOLA, Italy (KABC) -- The death toll from the earthquake in northern Italy has risen to at least 17 with the recovery of the last person listed as missing.
Rescue crews did have some successes. A 65-year-old woman was saved after spending 12 hours trapped in the rubble of an apartment. Completely covered by debris, she apparently called out to rescuers even before they knew she was there.
The magnitude 5.8 temblor north of Bologna on Tuesday felled old buildings and new factories and warehouses alike.
The area continued to be hit with strong aftershocks throughout the night, with many as high as magnitude 5.0. The same area had a magnitude 6.0 quake on May 20 that killed seven people.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department 59 min ago
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board 22 min ago
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- AMA recognizes obesity as a disease
34 min ago