Brawley quakes could go on for days - seismologists
BRAWLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Brawley, a small farming town east of San Diego, is on edge after hundreds of earthquakes rocked the area over the weekend - and it's not over yet. Seismologists say the shaking could go on for days.
More than 300 earthquakes have been recorded since around 8:30 a.m. Sunday, with the two largest quakes registered at magnitude 5.5 and 5.3. There were at least six tremors in the magnitude 4 range.
"It felt like that was the big one," said Rosa Morales of the magnitude 5.3, which knocked her mobile home off its foundation. "I've lived here in the valley 61 years and I've never felt something like this."
Residents continued to feel jolts into Monday morning. The area was hit with another earthquake in the early hours with a preliminary magnitude of 3.8.
Residents are taking precaution, putting tapes on windows that could shatter, and cleaning up the mess that Sunday's quakes left behind.
"It just started shaking. It was scary," said Larry Roben of Brawley. "It was just strong and powerful."
Images from around town showed shattered storefront windows, and at one apartment building, a big crack was seen in the stucco along the exterior.
About two dozen mobile homes were shaken off of their foundations on Sunday. Those have been red-tagged and its residents have been displaced.
About 2,500 people were without power on Sunday, but officials said power was restored by 3 a.m. Monday.
Eyewitness News viewers said that they felt the quakes all across Southern California, including in Brea, San Diego, Tustin, Indio and Temecula. The shaking was also felt east to Arizona.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 22 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 54 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 38 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 51 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
39 min ago