3.5-mag. earthquake shakes Beverly Hills; residents react
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 3.5 shook Beverly Hills shortly after midnight on Friday.
The earthquake happened at 12:03 a.m. and was centered west-southwest of Beverly Hills, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
"I was standing in my doorway and I heard this funny noise, and it felt like the top of the building was shaking, not the bottom," said Lauren Katz. "It really was an interesting feeling."
Eyewitness News received several calls from viewers in Beverly Hills, Hawthorne, West Hollywood and Santa Monica. They said they felt a sharp jolt.
According to the Beverly Hills police, there have been no reports of any damage or injuries connected to the quake. However, two ABC7 viewers sent in photos of a broken wine glass and drawers that were shaken open.
"Any time we have a quake, it's probably a good idea to use it as a reminder that we live in earthquake country, and we need to have a kit and a plan and we need to support community efforts to strengthen buildings and bridges and whatnot," said Kate Hutton, a Caltech seismologist.
Many people in Beverly Hills say they are ready in case a big earthquake happens.
"I am so prepared, yes. Very prepared. Batteries, water, food, runaway bags in the entry hall," said Joanne Greenberg. "But, you know what? I love L.A., I would never live anywhere else. I'll take the shakes."
This is the second earthquake to strike Beverly Hills this week. Early Monday morning, a 3.3-magnitude temblor woke up residents in the area.
earthquake, earthquake center, sid garcia
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC 15 min ago
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 40 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2 14 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets 11 min ago
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper 12 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Cool Kid fixes up batting cages for community
57 min ago