3.5-mag. earthquake shakes Beverly Hills; residents react
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 3.5 shook Beverly Hills shortly after midnight on Friday.
The earthquake happened at 12:03 a.m. and was centered west-southwest of Beverly Hills, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
"I was standing in my doorway and I heard this funny noise, and it felt like the top of the building was shaking, not the bottom," said Lauren Katz. "It really was an interesting feeling."
Eyewitness News received several calls from viewers in Beverly Hills, Hawthorne, West Hollywood and Santa Monica. They said they felt a sharp jolt.
According to the Beverly Hills police, there have been no reports of any damage or injuries connected to the quake. However, two ABC7 viewers sent in photos of a broken wine glass and drawers that were shaken open.
"Any time we have a quake, it's probably a good idea to use it as a reminder that we live in earthquake country, and we need to have a kit and a plan and we need to support community efforts to strengthen buildings and bridges and whatnot," said Kate Hutton, a Caltech seismologist.
Many people in Beverly Hills say they are ready in case a big earthquake happens.
"I am so prepared, yes. Very prepared. Batteries, water, food, runaway bags in the entry hall," said Joanne Greenberg. "But, you know what? I love L.A., I would never live anywhere else. I'll take the shakes."
This is the second earthquake to strike Beverly Hills this week. Early Monday morning, a 3.3-magnitude temblor woke up residents in the area.
earthquake, earthquake center, sid garcia
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 42 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant 18 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present