3.5-mag. earthquake shakes Beverly Hills; residents react
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 3.5 shook Beverly Hills shortly after midnight on Friday.
The earthquake happened at 12:03 a.m. and was centered west-southwest of Beverly Hills, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
"I was standing in my doorway and I heard this funny noise, and it felt like the top of the building was shaking, not the bottom," said Lauren Katz. "It really was an interesting feeling."
Eyewitness News received several calls from viewers in Beverly Hills, Hawthorne, West Hollywood and Santa Monica. They said they felt a sharp jolt.
According to the Beverly Hills police, there have been no reports of any damage or injuries connected to the quake. However, two ABC7 viewers sent in photos of a broken wine glass and drawers that were shaken open.
"Any time we have a quake, it's probably a good idea to use it as a reminder that we live in earthquake country, and we need to have a kit and a plan and we need to support community efforts to strengthen buildings and bridges and whatnot," said Kate Hutton, a Caltech seismologist.
Many people in Beverly Hills say they are ready in case a big earthquake happens.
"I am so prepared, yes. Very prepared. Batteries, water, food, runaway bags in the entry hall," said Joanne Greenberg. "But, you know what? I love L.A., I would never live anywhere else. I'll take the shakes."
This is the second earthquake to strike Beverly Hills this week. Early Monday morning, a 3.3-magnitude temblor woke up residents in the area.
earthquake, earthquake center, sid garcia
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 51 dead
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca 21 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Does your child have oral allergy syndrome?
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10