Hawaii tsunami warning downgraded to advisory after powerful Canada quake
HONOLULU (KABC) -- A tsunami warning in Hawaii that spurred coastal evacuations was downgraded to a tsunami advisory on Sunday.
Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie said the Aloha State was lucky to avoid more severe surges after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Canada. Abercrombie said beaches and harbors are still closed statewide.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the powerful temblor hit the Queen Charlotte Islands just after 8 p.m. local time Saturday at a depth of about 3 miles and was centered 96 miles south of Masset, British Columbia. It was felt across a wide area in British Columbia, both on its Pacific islands and on the mainland.
In addition to Hawaii, the National Weather Service issued a tsunami warning for coastal areas of British Columbia and southern Alaska, but later canceled it for the first two and downgraded it to an advisory for Hawaii.
The weather service also canceled a tsunami advisory for Oregon, leaving northern California as the only spot in North America still under a tsunami advisory.
The largest wave in the first 45 minutes of the tsunami was measured in Maui at more than 5 feet. That's about 2 feet higher than normal sea levels. No major damage was reported.
A small tsunami created by the quake was barely noticeable in Craig, Alaska, where the first wave or surge was recorded Saturday night.
Canada's largest earthquake since 1700 was an 8.1 magnitude quake on Aug. 22, 1949 off the coast of British Columbia, according to the Canadian government's Natural Resources website.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, tsunami, earthquake center
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, man shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting 5 min ago
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- ABC7 Eyewitness News Live Video
37 min ago