Japan earthquake: Tsunami warning lifted
TOKYO (KABC) -- A tsunami warning has been canceled after a 7.3-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of northeastern Japan.
The quake hit the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Miyagi prefecture at 5:18 p.m. (0818 GMT), the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The epicenter was 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) beneath the seabed and 240 kilometers (150 miles) offshore. So far, there are no reports of serious damage, no fatalities and only two injuries.
The tsunami warning was canceled about two hours after the quake. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center earlier said there was no risk of a widespread tsunami.
The agency said the area was shaken by repeated, smaller aftershocks.
After the earthquake, officials issued a warning that a tsunami potentially as high as 2 meters could hit. Ishinomaki, a city in Miyagi, reported a tsunami 1 meter (1 yard) high and other towns reported smaller tsunamis.
Video of the shaking was posted to YouTube shortly after the quake hit. People in Tokyo reported high buildings swaying for several minutes.
A sophisticated early warning system gave residents as much as six minutes warning time in advance of the quake.
Japan has barely begun to rebuild from last year's magnitude-9.0 earthquake, which triggered a tsunami that swelled to 20 meters high in some areas, ravaging dozens of coastal communities in Miyagi and elsewhere. About 19,000 people were killed and some 325,000 people remain displaced from their homes, living in barracks and other temporary quarters.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts down 405 South 21 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released 4 min ago
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover 7 min ago
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video