SW China quake destroys 700 homes, injures 30
BEIJING (KABC) -- At least 30 people were injured and 700 homes destroyed after an earthquake struck southwestern China on Sunday.
Reports from the earthquake bureau in Yunnan province and the official Xinhua News Agency said the magnitude-5.5 quake damaged 2,500 houses, completely toppled 700 others, and left three people in serious condition.
Supplies, including 6,000 tents, were on their way to help the 55,000 people affected by the quake.
The epicenter of the quake lies 32 miles from the city of Dali. The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake measured at a magnitude of 5.5 at a depth of 20 miles. Xinhua said about 34 aftershocks were recorded following the quake.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, earthquake center
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 11 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 44 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour