California earthquake warning system bill on its way to Assembly
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- On Tuesday, a day before a 4.8-magnitude temblor rattled nerves along the Santa Barbara coast, California lawmakers approved a bill calling for a statewide earthquake early warning system. The legislation is on its way to the Assembly after unanimously passing the state Senate.
"Everybody understands how valuable an early alert would be before the violent shaking starts try to minimize injuries, fatalities and damage that we associate with every major earthquake," said Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Pacoima), who sponsored the legislation.
Padilla said it will cost $80 million to fully build the California Integrated Seismic Network, a system developed by California Institute of Technology scientists. The system uses hundreds of sensors placed near major faults to detect seismic waves.
University of California, Riverside seismologist David Oglesby said it could give major cities like Los Angeles up to a minute warning that a quake is coming.
"The warning gets there before the shaking does and this will allow for certain things to happen very, very rapidly, like the shutting down of gas lines and the stopping of trains, things like that," Oglesby said.
It would also give people time to take cover. In March of 2011, Japan's early earthquake warning system was credited with saving countless lives ahead of the devastating 9.0-magnitude quake.
Seismologists agree that it's not a matter of if, but when the "Big One" will strike California.
The bill could land on the governor's desk by mid September. If the governor signs off on it, it could be two more years before California gets its early warning system in place.
earthquake, earthquake los angeles, earthquake center, leticia juarez
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 24 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 9 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role