6.5-magnitude earthquake strikes New Zealand
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (KABC) -- A powerful 6.5 earthquake in New Zealand's capital city sent terrified residents into the streets.The quake was centered in the island town of Seddon, near Wellington. The quake sent debris falling into the streets. Dishes flew from shelves in city restaurants.
There were no initial reports of injuries.
There have been a number of aftershocks, some over magnitude 5.0. Several homes are said to be damaged near the epicenter, and a bridge has reportedly collapsed.
A quake of similar strength shook the same area three weeks ago.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, earthquake center
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest 27 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears 3 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report