Winchester brush fire forces evac of homes, horses
WINCHESTER, RIVERSIDE COUNTY (KABC) -- A brush fire that charred 455 acres in Riverside County's Winchester area Monday was fully contained by late afternoon, fire officials said. There was minor damage to two homes and two outbuildings.
Flames broke out about 1 p.m. at Menifee and Baxter roads and spread north toward Scott Road, according to county fire officials.
Firefighters battled the blaze by land and air. About 160 firefighters were on the ground.
Evacuations were ordered for at least 11 homes in the area of Briggs Road and Camino de Los Caballos and Lindenberger and Camino de Los Caballos. About 50 horses from the Menifee Meadows equestrian center were also evacuated, officials said.
The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.
fire, wildfire, riverside county, wildfire center, leticia juarez
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 22 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 3 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 44 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken 10 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Local mountains get fresh blanket of snow
35 min ago
- Jeremy Renner discusses future roles
25 min ago