Fires break out in Mandeville Canyon, other areas of Los Angeles County
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Several fires broke out across Los Angeles County on Monday.
Mandeville Canyon brush fire
Fire crews worked into the night to gain the upper hand on a brush fire that broke out in the 3600 block of Mandeville Canyon Road.
The brush started about 4 p.m. and charred roughly 10 acres.
The fire was in a wilderness area that had not burned in a long time. It came within a couple hundred yards of homes.
Crews were helped by slow, 4 mile per hour winds, part of an onshore flow that pushed the flames away from nearby homes.
"We had a slow-moving fire in moderate brush," said Capt. Jaime Moore of the Los Angeles City Fire Dept. "This brush hasn't burned in 50 years."
Further helping in the firefight were two Super Scoopers leased by the Los Angeles County Fire Department from Canada. The planes were able to scoop up 1,600 gallons of water from the nearby Pacific Ocean and drop it on the flames almost every six minutes.
Down below, ground crews worked the rugged terrain while nervous residents could only watch and hope.
La Tuna Canyon brush fire
Firefighters made quick work of the brush fire that burned east of Sun Valley in the 8500 block of Vine Valley Drive, south of La Tuna Canyon Road.
The fire broke out about 2 p.m. and was contained by 4:30 p.m. It charred about 12 acres.
No homes were threatened and firefighters got help from calm winds. There were no evacuations or injuries.
The cause of the fire was under investigation.
Sepulveda Pass brush fire
Los Angeles city firefighters worked on a brush fire close to Interstate 405 at the Sepulveda Pass.
The blaze was nearly extinguished by 4:15 p.m.
Agua Dulce brush fire
Firefighters were battling a brush fire in the Agua Dulce area that got dangerously close to several homes and ranches.
According to the Los Angeles County Fire Department, the blaze had grown to 500 acres.
brush fire, fire, wildfire center
- I-5 through Grapevine reopens w/ CHP escorts
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- 4 killed in OC crash; alcohol, speed involved
- Hawthorne stabbing: 1 killed, probe underway
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Manhattan Beach offers free parking downtown
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Mystery donor gives $50K to MO Salvation Army 48 min ago
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Brian the dog returning to 'Family Guy'?