LA County Fire Department gets boost in air resources
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Triple digit temperatures this week are raising the fire danger across Southern California. But Los Angeles firefighters say they're ready, thanks in part to a boost in their air resources.
They have brought in two Canadian Super Scoopers, capable of scooping up 1,600 gallons of water in 12 seconds. The fire season in Quebec ended Sept. 1.
For the 18th straight fire season, the scoopers will be in Los Angeles for the next 90 days. They were put straight to work in the Agua Dulce and Mandeville Canyon fires on Monday.
The 90-day lease is costing the city $2.75 million.
Firefighters also have an Erickson Air-Crane Helitanker. It will be on lease for 120 days for $2.45 million. It has a pay load of 2,500 gallons.
"As evident from the fires we had yesterday, it's our perspective and our objective to get as much water on that fire as initially possible to ensure we can contain it," said Los Angeles County Fire Chief Daryl Osby. "We were successful yesterday."
"The versatility of these aircraft make this a much safer place during the Santa Ana conditions that we always experience during the autumn, during wildfires like we experienced like yesterday," said Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky.
As far as the budget is concerned, there is the flexibility to extend the lease on a month-to-month basis if needed.
fire, los angeles county fire department, wildfire center, sid garcia
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 23 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 19 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Malaysian Airlines flight goes missing 7 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)