Castaic brush fire: I-5 traffic improves, crews contain fire
CASTAIC, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- Traffic slowly returned to normal on I-5 in Castaic on Friday night following brush fire that shut lanes for hours.
Northbound lanes of the 5 Freeway had been shut down at Lake Hughes Road. Two northbound lanes were opened before 9 p.m. and traffic was beginning to move.
Fire trucks continued to work on the freeway shoulder just after 11 p.m. as traffic on the North I-5 traveled through the only two open lanes. However traffic was expected to remain backed up until all four lanes reopened. While there was no word on when all four lanes of the freeway would reopen, crews hoped to have the fire fully contained by noon Saturday.
The fire was reported as 60 percent contained and was down to 500 acres from 650 late Friday night.
The fire started just after 1 p.m. and had grown from 3 to 5 acres to 650 acres by 8:10 p.m. By that point, the fire was only 10 percent contained.
Fire officials said flames were running uphill and they were fighting it from the air. By sundown, the wind began to work in the crews' favor.
A total of six helicopters and three fixed-wing tankers were battling the blaze, along with 450 firefighters on the ground.
No structures were threatened. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
wildfire, fire, traffic delay, wildfire center, melissa macbride
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 48 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 28 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 31 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals 38 min ago
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour