Castaic brush fire near full containment
CASTAIC, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- Crews in Castaic are still working Saturday to contain a brush fire, which police say was started by a motorcycle crash.
Los Angeles County fire officials told Eyewitness News that the blaze was sparked when a man crashed his motorcycle in the area. The condition of that motorcycle rider was not known.
As of 11 p.m., officials said the fire was nearly containment with 500 acres burned. All lanes of the 5 Freeway were open again. Firefighters say there are no flames, but they're still working to snuff out any hot spots.
The fire was reported at about 1 p.m. Friday. Six helicopters and three fixed-wing tankers battled the blaze, along with 450 firefighters on the ground.
The blaze shut down the 5 Freeway, snarling traffic for several miles. Drivers were forced to exit near Parker Road and find alternate routes. Lanes began opening at about 8 p.m.
Fire officials say this is the early start of fire season.
"We're expecting an active brush season, an early brush season, so people need to be award of that. And we are in a drought condition, as far as the fuel moistures are real low already. Fuel conditions are a about a month ahead of what they usually are. We're seeing stuff early June that we normally see in July," said Dave Thies with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
No structures were threatened in the fire and no injuries were reported.
wildfire, fire, traffic delay, wildfire center, darsha philips
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 49 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 19 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
4 min ago