Castaic brush fire near full containment
CASTAIC, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- Crews in Castaic are still working Saturday to contain a brush fire, which police say was started by a motorcycle crash.
Los Angeles County fire officials told Eyewitness News that the blaze was sparked when a man crashed his motorcycle in the area. The condition of that motorcycle rider was not known.
As of 11 p.m., officials said the fire was nearly containment with 500 acres burned. All lanes of the 5 Freeway were open again. Firefighters say there are no flames, but they're still working to snuff out any hot spots.
The fire was reported at about 1 p.m. Friday. Six helicopters and three fixed-wing tankers battled the blaze, along with 450 firefighters on the ground.
The blaze shut down the 5 Freeway, snarling traffic for several miles. Drivers were forced to exit near Parker Road and find alternate routes. Lanes began opening at about 8 p.m.
Fire officials say this is the early start of fire season.
"We're expecting an active brush season, an early brush season, so people need to be award of that. And we are in a drought condition, as far as the fuel moistures are real low already. Fuel conditions are a about a month ahead of what they usually are. We're seeing stuff early June that we normally see in July," said Dave Thies with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
No structures were threatened in the fire and no injuries were reported.
wildfire, fire, traffic delay, wildfire center, darsha philips
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search 2 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Ex-assemblyman arrested for domestic violence
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall 33 min ago
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting 27 min ago
- Plane sent satellite signal for hrs -official 14 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says