Buck Fire in Riverside County caused by lightning - Cal Fire
HEMET, Calif. (KABC) -- Fire officials determined on Wednesday that the so-called Buck Fire in southwestern Riverside County was caused by lightning.
For firefighters on the front lines, day two of the Buck Fire seems to be a lot calmer than day one. Not only is the fire laying down, but the heat isn't nearly as oppressive.
The 3,000-acre fire was first reported around 1 p.m. Tuesday in Aguanga near Sage and Lewis Valley roads, which is about 20 miles east of Temecula.
Cooler weather and calm winds helped firefighters make progress on the wildfire, which is burning near Sage, but there is still concern that it could roar back to life. According to the Riverside County Fire Department, the fire was 40 percent contained by Wednesday evening. Full containment is not expected for several days, officials say.
"The wind is starting to pick up right now, and that's going to fan any hot spots to life out there," said Glenn Barley of Cal Fire.
Officials said five people have been injured: Two civilians were hospitalized, and three firefighters were also taken to a hospital with minor injuries.
The wildfire has destroyed at least four structures, including one home. Mandatory evacuations were ordered for 47 homes, but it was lifted on Wednesday night. Authorities said only 32 of 47 homes complied. Residents will need to show proper identification to return to their homes.
More than 400 firefighters are assisting in the firefight, as well as seven water-dropping helicopters and 11 air tankers.
fire, riverside county, heat, extreme weather, wildfire center
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 28 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 5 min ago
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler