Wildfire destroys 50 buildings in Northern California
MANTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Firefighters in Northern California are making progress on a huge wildfire that has burned down 50 structures in a rural area outside the community of Manton.
The Ponderosa Fire is currently 50 percent contained. At first, about 3,500 homes were threatened, but that number has been lowered to roughly 200.
"There's still work to be done, but good progress is definitely being made," CalFire spokesman Daniel Berlant said.
The blaze has scorched some 38 square miles since it was sparked by lightning on Saturday. More than 2,100 firefighters were battling the fire near the remote towns of Shingletown, Manton and Viola, about 170 miles north of Sacramento.
California Gov. Jerry Brown announced Tuesday that National Guard troops will be assisting with the firefighting efforts. The news comes a day after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it is offering federal funds to help cover the cost.
Another massive wildfire burning in Plumas National Forest continues to grow due to gusty winds. The fire has scorched nearly 98 square miles since it started at the end of July. About 900 homes are threatened. Officials said Wednesday that it was 37 percent contained.
In Mendocino County, a wildfire has forced mandatory evacuations for residents in Covelo. That wildfire has burned more than 18 square miles.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 5
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Mom of wandering boys was supervised by CPS
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons