Wildfire destroys 50 buildings in Northern California
MANTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Firefighters in Northern California are making progress on a huge wildfire that has burned down 50 structures in a rural area outside the community of Manton.
The Ponderosa Fire is currently 50 percent contained. At first, about 3,500 homes were threatened, but that number has been lowered to roughly 200.
"There's still work to be done, but good progress is definitely being made," CalFire spokesman Daniel Berlant said.
The blaze has scorched some 38 square miles since it was sparked by lightning on Saturday. More than 2,100 firefighters were battling the fire near the remote towns of Shingletown, Manton and Viola, about 170 miles north of Sacramento.
California Gov. Jerry Brown announced Tuesday that National Guard troops will be assisting with the firefighting efforts. The news comes a day after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it is offering federal funds to help cover the cost.
Another massive wildfire burning in Plumas National Forest continues to grow due to gusty winds. The fire has scorched nearly 98 square miles since it started at the end of July. About 900 homes are threatened. Officials said Wednesday that it was 37 percent contained.
In Mendocino County, a wildfire has forced mandatory evacuations for residents in Covelo. That wildfire has burned more than 18 square miles.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 54 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 2 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 52 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts 6 min ago