Fire near Brentwood reaches full containment
BRENTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A wildfire in the Santa Monica Mountains above Brentwood was fully contained by 8 p.m. Sunday. A total of seven acres burned and no structures were damaged.
Firefighters got to work Saturday, when the flames broke out in the 3000 block of Rustic Canyon Road. They were aided by water-scooping helicopters that attacked the fire from above.
Los Angeles fire officials said the wildfire charred 7 acres, though an earlier estimate stated 30 acres. There were no evacuations ordered. Early Sunday, crews were in the mop-up phase, meaning the fire was under control. However, crews were keeping a close watch on the mountainside for any possible flare-ups.
Four firefighters were injured in the firefight, but they're expected to be OK. The rough terrain and extreme temperatures have made it extra tough to battle the blaze.
Meantime, a brush fire that forced the Getty Center to shut down and caused traffic havoc on the 405 Freeway could also be out by Sunday.
The flames were first reported Friday afternoon in the Sepulveda Pass near Getty Center Drive. By Saturday, the fire had burned through 90 acres of mountain brush, but no buildings were threatened.
The Getty Center reopened to visitors Sunday, as firefighters continued working on snuffing out hot spots nearby. There was no word on how the fires started.
brush fire, wildfire center, q mccray
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis