Fire near Brentwood reaches full containment
BRENTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A wildfire in the Santa Monica Mountains above Brentwood was fully contained by 8 p.m. Sunday. A total of seven acres burned and no structures were damaged.
Firefighters got to work Saturday, when the flames broke out in the 3000 block of Rustic Canyon Road. They were aided by water-scooping helicopters that attacked the fire from above.
Los Angeles fire officials said the wildfire charred 7 acres, though an earlier estimate stated 30 acres. There were no evacuations ordered. Early Sunday, crews were in the mop-up phase, meaning the fire was under control. However, crews were keeping a close watch on the mountainside for any possible flare-ups.
Four firefighters were injured in the firefight, but they're expected to be OK. The rough terrain and extreme temperatures have made it extra tough to battle the blaze.
Meantime, a brush fire that forced the Getty Center to shut down and caused traffic havoc on the 405 Freeway could also be out by Sunday.
The flames were first reported Friday afternoon in the Sepulveda Pass near Getty Center Drive. By Saturday, the fire had burned through 90 acres of mountain brush, but no buildings were threatened.
The Getty Center reopened to visitors Sunday, as firefighters continued working on snuffing out hot spots nearby. There was no word on how the fires started.
brush fire, wildfire center, q mccray
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves 42 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordinance scare prompts evacuations 35 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break