Fire near Brentwood reaches full containment
BRENTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A wildfire in the Santa Monica Mountains above Brentwood was fully contained by 8 p.m. Sunday. A total of seven acres burned and no structures were damaged.
Firefighters got to work Saturday, when the flames broke out in the 3000 block of Rustic Canyon Road. They were aided by water-scooping helicopters that attacked the fire from above.
Los Angeles fire officials said the wildfire charred 7 acres, though an earlier estimate stated 30 acres. There were no evacuations ordered. Early Sunday, crews were in the mop-up phase, meaning the fire was under control. However, crews were keeping a close watch on the mountainside for any possible flare-ups.
Four firefighters were injured in the firefight, but they're expected to be OK. The rough terrain and extreme temperatures have made it extra tough to battle the blaze.
Meantime, a brush fire that forced the Getty Center to shut down and caused traffic havoc on the 405 Freeway could also be out by Sunday.
The flames were first reported Friday afternoon in the Sepulveda Pass near Getty Center Drive. By Saturday, the fire had burned through 90 acres of mountain brush, but no buildings were threatened.
The Getty Center reopened to visitors Sunday, as firefighters continued working on snuffing out hot spots nearby. There was no word on how the fires started.
brush fire, wildfire center, q mccray
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program 44 min ago
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 9 min ago
- Protestors commemorate Armenian Genocide 29 min ago
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed