Murrieta fire damages structures, nears homes
MURRIETA, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush fire in Murrieta on Sunday damaged at least two structures and came dangerously close to many others, authorities said.
The fire started just before 5 p.m. in the Warm Springs Park and Preserve area. It charred at least 150 acres. The blaze was 30 to 40 percent contained as of 11 p.m. Sunday.
Officials said winds blowing 20 mph fanned the flames through very dry chaparral. About 100 firefighters, aided by five water-dropping aircraft, battled the blaze. At one point, as many as 200 homes were threatened.
"We just saw the smoke and all of a sudden the flames came up and went through that valley, and then about an hour later, it shifted. That's when it came back towards us," said Murrieta resident Chris Russo.
Russo grabbed garden hoses and sprayed the fire as it came within 50 yards of his home. Water-dropping aircraft were there quickly to take over as neighbors breathed a sigh of relief.
"They got on it right away," said Murrieta resident Gary Raymond. "Great job by the fire department. They had the tankers and the helicopters in the air."
Evacuations were not ordered, but an evacuation center was set up Vista Murrieta High School for residents who chose to leave their homes.
No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was under investigation.
fire, wildfire center, melissa macbride
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 1 min ago
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark 20 min ago
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace 3 min ago
- Informant speaks out on jail abuse probe
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
40 min ago
- Pet of the Week: Beagle mix named Noelle
37 min ago