Springs Fire: Cooler weather helps firefighters gain upper hand
NEWBURY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Firefighters have gained the upper hand on the Springs Fire. They hope to have the blaze out by Monday.
As of Sunday night, the fire was 75 percent contained. Since the blaze broke out Thursday morning, it has charred 28,000 acres of land and threatened 4,000 homes. Fifteen homes were damaged, but none were destroyed. At least 25 outbuildings and other property were destroyed.
Fire officials announced Sunday that they have demobilized fire resources, making them available to the districts they came from.
Changing weather conditions, including lower temperatures and increasing humidity, have facilitated progress.
Nearby residents have expressed concern that a spring storm could possibly trigger mud slides now that the grounds are blackened and barren.
However, fire officials said that so long as the rains are light, it will likely be beneficial for the land by helping it start setting roots again.
Also Sunday, investigators said that the cause of the fire was not suspicious in nature. They said an undetermined roadside ignition of grass or debris is what sparked the fire along the 101 Freeway.
Saturday, a firefighter slipped in rugged terrain while putting out a flare-up and sustained a head injury. He was transported to a hospital in Thousand Oaks, where he was reported in stable condition. He is expected to make a full recovery.
Authorities say one civilian and a total of six firefighters were injured in the Springs Fire, but the injuries were mostly minor, involving loose debris.
All mandatory evacuations for the Sycamore Canyon, Deer Creek, Yerba Buena, Broome, La Jolla, Leo Carrillo, Cotharin Road areas have now been lifted.
Also, California State University at Channel Islands announced the campus will be back open at 5 p.m. Sunday, including the library, dining services and student housing. Classes and activities are set to begin Monday.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center, leanne suter
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 2 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 28 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...