Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
CASTAIC, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush fire that erupted in the Castaic area near the 5 Freeway Friday is burning out of control, scorching 575 acres.
The fire was 60 percent contained by about 9:30 p.m. So far, no structures are threatened.
The fire broke out along the 5 Freeway near Lake Hughes Road at about 1:30 p.m. Nineteen homes on Elk Ridge Road and Vista Point Place were temporarily evacuated as a precaution, but all evacuation orders have since been lifted.
Nathan Judy from the U.S. Forest Service said the fire switched directions and is now burning in a northerly direction away from homes.
"It's burning through light grass and light brush, which is makes the fire run very quickly," Judy said.
More than 100 firefighters are fighting the blaze from the ground, and three helicopters and six fixed-wing aircraft are assisting from the air.
At one point, the blaze was burning about 100 yards away from North Lake Hills Elementary School, but authorities say the school was not in any danger. Sheriff's officials said the kids were taken off-site so parents could pick them up.
The California Highway Patrol shut down the left lane on the southbound 5 Freeway between Lake Hughes and Parker roads. Nearby Ridge Route Road was also closed at Pine Crest Place due to the fire.
No injuries or damage was reported.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 30 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap 41 min ago
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
45 min ago