Brush fire breaks out near Idyllwild; mandatory evacuations ordered
RIVERSIDE COUNTY (KABC) -- A brush fire broke out Monday afternoon at highways 74 and 243 near Idyllwild, forcing evacuations in the Mountain Center area.
More than 300 firefighters, four helicopters and six air tankers are battling the blaze, which was reported around 1:45 p.m. The fire had burned about 1,000 acres and was about 5 percent contained as of 9 p.m.
Mandatory evacuations were ordered for the Living Free Animal Sanctuary and about 25 homes in the Mountain Center area -- 20 in the Bonita Vista housing community and four at Fleming Ranch. An evacuation center was set up at Hemet High School, located at 41701 E. Stetson Ave.
Lake Hemet campground campers from the Pine Springs Church Camp were evacuated to the Seventh Day Adventist Church at the corner of Girard Street and Stetson Avenue in Hemet.
An additional evacuation center was activated at Hamilton High School at 57430 Mitchell Road in Anza. Hamilton High School can accommodate small animals.
An animal evacuation site for large and small animals is available at the San Jacinto Animal Shelter at 581 South Grand Avenue, San Jacinto. Call (951) 358-7387.
Highway 243 was closed at Saunders Meadow Road and eastbound Highway 74 was closed at the U.S. Forest Service's Cranston Guard Station.
brush fire, riverside county, wildfire center
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 13 min ago
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
55 min ago